Thursday, September 27, 2012

The Big "A" Strikes Again!

I swear, it must be Crazy Season when it comes to my book club, Ex Libris lately.  Either that, or it's a perpetual full moon and the crazy is here to stay.

Today I sent out an email to some members to pay their dues in a timely fashion or they would be removed.  I give them options, tell them where to find the rule about dues, and let them know they can contact me with any alternatives if they don't want to use PayPal.  Usually the person will pay their dues or email me asking me if they can send a check  or just leave the group. Simple, no?

Apparently not today.  A woman sent me an email in response saying:

"Sorry I guess we won't be a member then"

So I replied that I was sorry to hear that and could I ask why?

And then I got this:

"one, there was no explanation of what the $8 pays for
two, we have yet to come to a meeting - the last one we couldn't get the book to read
three, not comfortable with someone who pushes their atheism"


Really?  Fucking Really? Apparently at the end of the emails I send from Meetup.com, it lists other meetups I am a member of. Two of them are Atheist groups. Apparently "two" means "pushing".

So I replied:



Firstly, the $8 covers the fees for hosting on meetup.com, something that is clearly stated in the member rules and guidelines which are sent to all applicants.

Secondly, it is also stated clearly in the member rules and guidelines that dues are to be paid within three (3) days of joining the group.

Thirdly, nowhere in my book club does it state anything about religon or religious preference therefore you must be basing your biased assumption that I am "pushing atheism" based on my memberships in other meetup groups. I am also in several parenting groups. Does this mean I am "pushing fertility"? Should I assume that the other members in Ex Libris who are in Buddhist groups, Jewish groups, Yoga groups, Christian groups, etc are all in my book club to "push" these agendas as well?

The world is a big place and Ex Libris is open to all people regardless of gender, race, sexual orientation, age, education, religion or lack thereof. Thankfully, because of your blatant disrespect and bigotry toward someone who doesn't share your worldview, Ex Libris will be grateful for your absence.

Have a nice day and good luck.

Alessia Lane
Organizer Ex Libris





Then I booted her ass out of the group.

I am so amazed at the intolerance of people. 

Judging by last night's meetup, the only thing anyone was "pushing" was awesome discussion and intelligent dialogue.  How dare us!

2 comments:

Barbara Cremin said...

There was ample opportunity during the discussion of The Handmaid's Tale for religious debate, but you never even mentioned it, and there was certainly no discernible agenda other than open-minded discussion. I say don't take it too personally. Tone is such a delicate thing, and often gets lost in written communication. Your persona face-to-face is warm and humorous, but that non-member will never get to experience it. Oh well...

Alessia L. said...

Thanks Barbara, how kind of you to say that! (The check is in the mail, ha!).

I'm sorry you missed the Master and Margarita discussion. That was certainly rife with religious themes. And in true Ex Libris fashion, we all had a wonderful discussion about it. No agendas from ANYONE were "pushed".

I hope to see you this month for "The Swerve" or at the holiday party!