Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Birth: One Week Later

So it has been (already) one week since Dorian was born and I'm doing ok, I think. The C-section was an interesting experience to say the least, but were it not for the "cocktail" they gave me that I was allergic to (and consequently threw up from about 5:30pm to 3am the next morning), not a bad experience at all. The nurses and my doctor made the experience so easy despite my fears and the woman who gave me the spinal was AWESOME. I didn't even feel it.

The doctor who assisted my OB during the operation was a kind man who, during the administering of the spinal, stroked my head and told me (in a very strange Indian/Spanish accent) that I was going to be fine and that in a few minutes I'd be seeing my baby. Dr. Selman, my OB, was so wonderful, checking with how I was feeling and the nurses with their encouraging words and smiles made for an unforgettable experience.

As long as I don't get the "cocktail". I'd have no problem doing it again (not saying I would, but you know what I mean.)

A week later, at home, I'm doing ok. My incision KILLS only on one side though. It feels like a hot, burning, on fire, pulling sensation. I asked my doctor what that was and she said it was where they used a "hook" to hold me open and move my bladder and intestines out of the way. I proceeded to tell her TMI!!!!! I don't need to know that! BARF!!!

My feet and ankles are swollen and the lower part of my stomach is still puffy and sore, but honestly, I am doing great. I am slowly remembering what it is like to take care of a baby, remembering the "baby smell" and little baby mannerisms that Dante used to do. And I'm noticing that my oldest, Dante, really is a big boy and not the little baby I always assumed he was. From one day to the next, he went from "my baby" to "my big boy". He's learned how to assist me in changing diapers, making bottles (I am BF'ing as well). He's become quite the helper.

Hubby is doing well too. He's made dinner almost every night after coming home from work and has been a huge help in keeping the house clean and orderly. And, of course, my mom has been a great help as have been the wonderful network of friends I have.

So, a week into this "new mommy for the second time" phase, I can say that I am feeling pretty good. Exhausted, but good.


MaryAnn said...

Isn't it crazy how big your youngest feels after you have a baby? Finn seemed so tiny to me until I got home from the hospital with Ro and suddenly he was HUGE!

I am glad everything is going so well for you and I hope your healing quickens so you can be more comfortable.

ProudSingleMum said...

How wonderful to hear! Dorian is such a cutie! And Dante looks like he's enjoying the 'big brother' role!

Amy/Autodidact said...

so, what, Annie Leibowitz is one of your old NYC pals and she took your birth pics? that shot of him is AMAZING.

Anonymous said...

Gods mill grinds slow but sure...................................................