Sunday, July 8, 2007

Transformers 2007: My Review (with apologies to Fidel)

***WARNING: SPOILERS AHEAD****

After much trepidation and planned disappointment, Randy and I gave Dante to my mom and dad this morning and headed off to the 10:30 am showing of Transformers 2007. We were ready for anything, mostly we were ready to be disappointed. After all, most remakes (or adaptations of remakes) should never leave the studio (Poseidon ring a bell?), so Randy and I were prepared for the worst ever Transformers movie in the world. Now mind you, my friend Fidel had written his own review a few weeks back and I had read it with much interest, so I was prepared going into this. Fidel gave his experience with Transformers 2007 a C+ and after seeing the movie this morning, I have to say:

FIDEL WHAT THE HELL WERE YOU THINKING?!?!?!?!?!

Fidel, my friend, my Italian compatriot, did you go see a different movie? I LOVED this movie. Ok, ok, granted I have to agree that the appearance of these new Transformers is very different from the classics we grew up with, but I had no problem distinguishing who was who. Optimus Prime was obviously Optimus Prime. I picked out Starscream right away and Randy called Shockwave almost immediately. Jazz, Ironhide, we spotted them too. I know, I know, Ratchett was no longer an ambulance but he was a pretty cool EMT truck thingie and you have to admit that Bumblebee as the 2008 Camaro was sweeeeet. And it's not like props was not given to the original Bumblebee vehicle: If you remember in the car lot, BB was parked right next to a yellow VW and his air freshner was a bumblebee with "Bee-Yatch" written on it.

I also like the little "inside" jokes thrown in here and there. The Decepticon Police Car had "To Punish and Enslave" on the side of it instead of "To Protect and Serve". Shia LeBeuf's character pleaded to that girl that he was "more that meets the eye". I don't know, call me a cheeseball, but I even thought the whole Bumblebee picking out the songs on the radio when Shia was chasing the girl was funny.

I think I liked this movie because I was expecting not to like it. I felt like a little kid and actually went "Ha HA!" out loud in the theater when Megatron showed up (although his whole transforming into a jet thing wasn't cool). The CGI action was incredible and this is from someone who thinks too much CGI ruins a movie. I was on the edge of my seat for the whole thing. They even threw in an Insecticon (remember those?!?!). Even the acting wasn't half bad. Shia LeBeuf has an incredible sense of comedic timing and was absolutely hysterical. Serioulsy, when we walked out to my car after it was over I was secretely hoping my Toyota Corolla would transform and be all cool. Although, it being my car, it would probably be a Decepticon and start blowing shit up. Which would be fine with me just as long as it left me and my posse alone.

Fidel, I love ya, but I have to disagree with your final review. I give Transformers 2007 an: A

No comments: