Friday, June 10, 2011

Come Together for a Good Cause

Recently, a friend and fellow atheist parent, Mark Andriesse, was diagnosed with Leukemia. As a core member of Florida Atheist and Secular Humanist (FLASH) Parents, Mark and his wife Angela, along with their two girls, have been a driving force behind the group's success. This is Angela's statement regarding Mark and his health:

I don't know if you have all heard but Mark, my husband, was diagnosed with Acute Myeloid Leukemia (AML) last month. I will not write too many details because I have to go to work soon and I need to keep myself together. Suffice it to say--he will hopefully be starting chemotherapy within the next few days and will be in the hospital for the next four weeks. The kids will be going to NY on June 23rd and not returning from August 1st. I will stay here to take care of Mark. I don't think they will let anyone but family visit him in the hospital--he will mostly liking receiving treatments at Coral Springs Medical center. We are all very shocked by this news and I am struggling but have Mark and the girls to take care of. At least it's summer vacation so we can use all our time and energy getting Mark into remission.

As a parent of two children myself, as a wife, and as a daughter of a cancer survivor, I could not simply just leave my "facebook words of support" and be done with it. Mark and his family are in for a long, tough road ahead and I think we all should chip in and help. I am appealing to the Atheist community, especially, since we are always accused of being "sinful" and "immoral" without "god" in our lives, but I am also appealing to all the human beings out there who know that we are one human family and that by helping eachother, even if that other person is a stranger, we are, in essence, making this world a better place for ourselves and for our children especially.

So please, please help:




To learn more about FLASH and FLASH parents, please click HERE

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"I will not write too many details because I have to go to work soon"

well if you want my money, I want some juicy details. Work for that donation, make me feel emotional and shit. You're not even trying.

Anonymous said...

Well, as one anonymous to another, you are a shit-head. Here's hoping someone donates a heart or a brain to you.